Quite often, prospective clients like the idea of having a VA on their team, but they can’t quite figure out exactly what tasks could be assigned or how it’d help. This case study helps explain more about one particular type of client:
The Client with Many Hats
This is the type of successful business person who has multiple revenue streams through various businesses, and is regularly pulled in far too many directions as a result. These clients are big picture thinkers and they need to know that the team they choose to build around them is a solid and reliable one. Their time is massively in demand, so they immediately recognise the value in outsourcing tasks to a Virtual Assistant.
Types of tasks a VA can help with
The tasks for this kind of client are Varied with a capital V.
Business tasks – as a PA/Office Manager
- This client always has a jam-packed diary – meetings with suppliers, PR agencies, employees, advertisers, board members, and all of the associated travel. By delegating the diary management, all they ever have to know is where they need to be and when. I’ll always factor in travel time and add a little diary wiggle room in case meetings run over. All of that time-consuming diary ping-pong takes place behind the scenes, and they can rest easy knowing that they’re going to be on time, every time.
- These clients also travel frequently and don’t want to faff around working out the most time-efficient route. Therefore, I work with them to establish their travel preferences (timings, class, seating, meals, baggage, etc) which I keep on file for future reference for next time, and I go away and do my research. I then succinctly present them with the options that meet their criteria, and I then book on their behalf or they go away and make the purchase themselves.
- When the client has a team within their business, I will get involved in the recruitment and selection process whenever there is a vacancy. From putting together a job description and skills matrix, all the way through to conducting the initial telephone interviews. The client trusts my judgement entirely and I save them precious time by only putting forward to interview the applicants who I know meet their criteria. In one instance, the client also wanted me to attend the face-to-face interviews so that I could take notes while they focused solely on asking the questions.
- But my clients say they gain the most value when we speak over the phone or meet in person as they have the opportunity to have me as their sounding board. Because I am an integrated part of their business, I understand their goals and vision, and therefore I can support them every step of the way by providing valuable and yet impartial advice.
Personal tasks – as a Private PA
- Researching holidays – from family breaks to something for a special occasion, this often involves flights, hotels, and activities.
- Advertising, telephone interviewing and reference checking household help such as chefs, cleaners and dog walkers.
- Securing table reservations and noting dietary and dining preferences in line with requirements.
- Plus lots of things for their children too – from researching activity clubs and summer camps to keep the school holiday boredom at bay, or booking driving lessons for one who’d recently turned 17.
- Proactively reminding the client about upcoming special occasions (birthdays and anniversaries) and researching appropriate gifts.
How it helps
These clients are in it for the long-haul. They want the kind of ongoing, right-hand assistance that they would have had in the corporate world many moons ago, and they see the true value in outsourcing the tasks that still need to get done, just not by them. The longer we work together, the greater my understanding is of their business. Over time, I can use this knowledge to proactively support the client BEFORE they ask, rather than simply react to assigned tasks.
These types of clients are dream clients for us VAs at My VA Rocks.
If you recognise yourself in this post, let’s have a conversation to discuss how we can help your business.
M: 07702 133265